Translate

April 8, 2010

Reading List

The week is going by unbelievably fast.  The last couple of days were very warm.  Yesterday even hot, although it didn't feel like August, it wasn't as humid.

I read every day.  Lots of times just out of habit and I read a lot of books just because I read.  I'm also sort of in a reading club - sort of because lots of times I manage not to find the book that's on deck.

This time I found 'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin in time, and I am reading it right alongside 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman.  The Neil Gaiman I picked up because another blog recommended it.  The writer of the other blog is a devoted fan of Neil Gaiman, and I found it at the Goodwill store and thought I give it a try. 

I'm not far enough into either book (thank you Claus, for teaching me it's allowed to read more than one book at the same time!) to give an opinion.  I am, however further into the Neil Gaiman than I am into the other.  I am curious to see where the story is going.

I think I started my reading habit because I was so excited to be able to read.  I still remember that.  And I still remember the first book I read 'Lieselluempchen', from our tiny village library.
And we didn't get a TV until I was 13 years old.  Can you imagine?!
I love TV now, although it's mostly just on, I do a lot of other things while watching TV.
And I tried to give my children TV-free time, we went to Germany every other year, and had a vacation within a vacation.  We went to Switzerland a few times while visiting my folks.  I still remember my daughter reading 'Heidi' (in English) while we were driving up and down the mountain passes in Switzerland.

The funniest part about our Germany visits?  The kids still remember seeing Elvis movies in German.  And some bog monster, also in German.

edit:  The Swamp Thing.  That's what it was called.

No comments:

Post a Comment