Translate

January 26, 2011

Winter Storm Warning

That's what's going on today.  So far no snow, but it's early.  The storm is expected to start this afternoon, with rain and slush switching over to snow.  It's fine by me, I just don't like driving in it.  I have a bag packed to spend the night with Erika and kids (Jim is off on a business trip).  It means I'll have to make sure the birds have enough food before I leave.  Their appetite seems voracious, I was only gone for two days to Connecticut, I came home to empty bird feeders.  Yes, they get an apple once in a while too, and they love it.
I'm still searching for a cheap source for peanuts.  Broken nut pieces, like a cousin suggested, aren't to be found around here.

These are Blue Jays, comparable to Eichelhaeher in Germany.  They are brazen, noisy birds.  I thought they weren't around, since they seem to reject the lard/seed/peanutbutter cakes they rest of the birds like.  But put those peanuts out, and boy, the Blue Jays are there!





2 comments:

  1. Brrrr. Gut, daß Du dann nicht in der Gegend rumfahren mußt.
    Eichelhäher sind übrigens auch sehr schlaue Tiere. Wir haben im Urlaub in Kroatien ein paar davon am Campingplatz. Einer holt sich die Brötchenreste auf der kleinen Mauer an "unserem" Platz, und einen anderen hab ich schon gegen eine Möwe fliegen sehen, die scheinbar seinem Nest zu nahe gekommen ist.

    Liebe Grüße, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ach, Eichelhäher sind das, danke vielmals ♥
    Das sind ja suuuper Aufnahmen von den futternden Vögeln.
    Puuh, da soll es wohl ordentlich bei euch schneien. Tja, Winter ist immer noch dran.
    Liebe Grüsse

    ReplyDelete