Translate

July 3, 2013

Michigan, or on the road again

It's been a while, and I apologize.  Between smart phone and iPad I get all the info I need, plus checking facebook and instagram is my interaction/checking on others point, it seems I am neglecting the blog big time.

Last weekend we went to Maryland to help Noah celebrate his birthday (I am so sorry, no pictures, I have a new memory card in the camera, and left the other one at home), and we had a great time.  Sue outdid herself with the cake again - photos to follow.  And it was fun hanging out with the family, and the kids.

We hustled our way through the week - lots of work - and on Saturday morning left for Michigan, a small town above Detroit.  I loved driving through Pennsylvania, a state everyone groans at the thought of having to drive through, but traffic was light, we hit no delays, and it was just like driving on the Autobahn at home.  The scenery is lovely, I love woods and mountains, with rivers and valleys, it was great.

Once here, we are visiting with family - Michael's sister Karen and husband Robert, and they are great hosts, we got a tour of Detroit, and we attempted to go to a balloon festival, we spent all afternoon there with a midway, but in the evening it was still too windy for  the balloons to take off, so we were a tiny bit disappointed.  But it was fun nonetheless!
Here are some photos:


 Yup, we went on this, if only to take pictures from the top

 The entire midway, with a cloudy, windy sky, that prevented the balloons from taking off

 sky divers, bringing down the flag for a national anthem singing.
 and a walking tree
The next day we got to tour Detroit.  My most glaring impression?  The difference of a bustling city like NYC, and an almost empty Detroit.
 We ate Coney hot dogs in Detroit,
and I noticed this office worker in the window

 A cool indoor fountain, and art on a deserted building
 We went in the lobby of a building called The Guardian
And I think I reached the limit of picture uploads, so I will have to create another post.  Tomorrow!  I promise!
Now we're off to go see Lake Huron, one of the Great Lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment