Translate

May 22, 2009

Swans

The swans have babies. This morning, when I was making my usual round to and then around a small pond - 3/4 mile around - I noticed that the swans cygnets have slipped out of their eggs. Up until this morning, the momma swan sat on the nest, which was carefully fenced in on one side by the bourough, while the daddy swan was looking for food. Although, as far as I know, they switched off, it's hard to tell with swans who is the mom and who the dad!
Anyway, the happy family was proudly gliding on the pond. From what I could tell, they had four babies. The couple who walks as early as I do was admiring as well, with the husband taking pictures with his cell phone. The cygnets looked big already, I was amazed. And they are 'newborns', I'm sure, since yesterday the swan was still brooding.
It will be interesting to see the family next week. They looked so serene and happy to be together. The Canadian Honker Geese family has been there a while, with three gooslings, I carefully stay on they other side of the path, with the male eying me, to make sure I don't come close.

No comments:

Post a Comment